Chocolate beetroot cake with coconut and cashew cream frosting
Makes 1 mini cake or 4 cupcakes
Gluten free option
1tbsp milk of choice or water
50g coconut or maple sugar
50g coconut oil melted
25g melted organic dark chocolate
12g Cocoa powder
25g coconut flour
25g hazelnut meal *
25g whole meal SR. Flour or almond meal *
1/4tsp baking powder
Note: for the frosting start soaking your cashews the night before or min. 4 hrs prior
1. Start by bringing water to the boil and place your beetroot in whole and simmer for about 30min until beetroot is cooked through.
2. Remove, drain and peel. Slice up, weight and Add to your processor and blend.
3. Set your oven to 180 degrees
4. Blend your coconut oil, sugar and egg together.
5. melt your chocolate and add to egg mix. Add to be beetroot and blend until smooth and well combined.
6. Add all your flours and stir well.
7. Add to your mini cake mold uor your cupcake moulds.
8. For cupcakes bake for approx 12mins for cake about 25mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely
For your frosting – cashew coconut cream
110g cashews soaked over night
3tbsp maple syrup
1/2c (90g) coconut cream (thick top component only)
5ml coconut oil melted
Add everything to a processor except your coconut cream and blend to a smoothish consistency.
Add your cream and continue to blend until smooth and creamy this make take 3-4min
Use when ready to frost your cake.
Or delicious on its own, as a mousse or on pancakes.
Store in the fridge if unused
* could just use hazelnut or almond meal