Delicious, crunchy, golden, chewy, homemade muesli. What could be better to start your day?
Have a bowl full of this just with milk of choice, the addition of chopped fresh seasonal fruit, with yogurt, layered between chia seed pudding, fruit and yogurt, or topping a freshly processed sorbet for a little extra crunch. The options as to how to enjoy this lovely meal are endless.
As are the combinations that you can use to create it!
There are no guidelines when it comes to creating your muesli masterpiece. Simply pick the bits you like and throw them all together. But for a guideline here are some of the options you could use:
oats – whole, multigrain or gluten-free
pick from your nuts such as; chopped cashews, pecans, walnuts, macadamia, almonds, almond slivers, peanuts etc.
pick from a choice of seeds; sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pepita etc.
pick from your choice of dried fruit; sultanas, goji berries, chopped dates, prunes, cranberries, dried apple, banana chips
pick from your choice of spices; cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, chai, cocoa, cacao etc.
pick from your choice of liquids; coconut oil, organic butter, honey, agave, maple etc.
pick from additional sweeteners; brown sugar, coconut sugar etc.
pick from addition toppings; desiccated coconut, coconut flakes, shredded coconut etc.
- Pre heat oven to 180. line, generally two, baking trays.
- Once you have picked your combination I like to toss my oats and nuts (if using silvered almonds leave out). once you have evenly distributed them together toss your sugars through if using along with any spices.
- Melt your liquids together and toss through the oats/nuts mix.
- Spread your mix out evenly onto your lined trays and place into the oven for about 20 minutes, tossing and turning every 4-5 minutes to prevent burning.
- Once halfway through I like to add my silvered almonds, coconut flakes if using – these are added later as they have a tendency to burn quickly.
- You could add your fruit or seeds now too, if you like it extra chewy.
- remove from the oven and allow to cool, once cooled pour into a large mixing bowl and toss with all your fruit, seeds, desiccated or shredded coconut.
- allow to cool completely before placing into an air tight container.
Of course if you wanted to you could just toss everything together for a raw muesli as well!
this recipe is completely open to interpretation which is why I love it so much